Friday, December 1, 2017

Novembre 2017

Surprise! Our backyard
November 2017

As briefly explained, I am a little late...today is Dec 1st. I could not access my Blog yesterday, I just saw the spinning circle, and after 30 minutes, I decided it was not going to happen yesterday. Checked later too, and the same thing. So I am writing this on Dec 1st.
A white surprise this morning. If and when we get snow, it usually is a light covering like this. It will melt by this afternoon. As you can see, I covered my garden this year with plastic (and then piled everything on top of it to hold it in place), so the weeds could not start growing in February.

Obviously we have moved into winter . It has been cold, nights at about freezing, and foggy rainy days.

 Last week we had ads for "Black Friday". It is really strange here, since there is no reference for it. There is no Thanksgiving, and no 4 day weekend (with a Friday holiday from work so you can shop). But the stores picked up on this and I had many emails, the paper was full of ads, and flyers in the mailbox. Friends asked what Black Friday meant! The french have no reference for this  event. And so it goes in the world now with TV, internet, and instant access to everything.

On this same note, a big issue here, or rather a huge issue is opening stores on Sunday. The bakery is allowed to be open, as are flower shops that have been granted the right ( one needs to pick up flowers for the hostess for Sunday lunch- main meal on Sunday), and some grocers who applied and have been granted permission. Now however, stores are pushing for opening any store that wants to be open. I think Galleries Lafayette in Dijon is now open on Sunday. The stores want it, some people want it, but a large majority of people are against it. Sunday is the day to relax and be with family or friends. After living here these many years, I am against it also. At first it was strange, I was so used to running out for anything I wanted, now I plan and make sure I do not need anything. Our little grocer that has very little in the store has milk, and bread (baguettes) if I have needed them. I think the stores are going to win this battle though.

Onto Thanksgiving. I had 2 couples over on Sunday the 26th for Thanksgiving dinner (again main meal at noon). I had pre-ordered a turkey, but the new butcher in charge of orders did not pre-order! Here turkeys are for Christmas, so the order for a whole turkey has to be in 3 weeks in advance to reserve a turkey (they cut up turkeys and sell them by the legs, breast...). He did not pre-order and called just before Sunday to say he could not get a whole turkey! I was disappointed, but had to serve something, so I bought the big breast (always boneless and skinless here) and did a roulade. Actually I did 2 roulades, one with mushrooms and one with apple/cranberries. You know, other than my fretting and swearing etc, these were very good and a lot easier. Maybe this is the way of the future for me. Here is my table photo (again, without Thanksgiving here there are no pilgrims, or turkeys or...to decorate the table).
Thanksgiving in France
Went on only one hike this month, weather just was not cooperating. But we had a beautiful day and got out for a walk. Fall was over, but I still love the glow of the late afternoon sun. Of course here are a few photos. And somehow, in spite of the cold weather, there were a couple flowers! I took photos to show we still have flowers mid November.
Centaurée- a little scraggy,
but a flower non-the-less

Campanule

Scabieuse

yellow flower!
Obviously  the flower is gone, no idea what this was!

I believe this is a wild Clematis, in seed form. I love the texture,
so took a photo.
And some late fall photos on Mont Myon above Messanges. A walk with the MT and the dogs.
Happy dogs, Flipper and Dolce

All the yellow with the green,
and happy dog

little road through the vines

View from the top -village of Meuilley 

Tall vines in the Hautes Côte

Last of the grapes (they were pretty good too,
had to have a little taste)
As for photo club, we had a evening session on still life photos, and different ways to set up a small studio. I took this photo.
Green peppers, one red and one green chili
 and scotch bonnets in the rear. Here, chilles are called
piments. They are not scotch bonnets, or jalapenos, or
habeneros...all just piments
Keith has not been on this bike as much as he would like. He tries to get some riding in on very good days, on marginal days, maybe a ride to the coffee shop.


Recipe of the Month
How about that Turkey Roulade.

INGREDIENTS

  • one turkey breast (skinless and boneless) - butterflied
  • About 5 ounces mushrooms sliced
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 6 ounces herb sausage- cut open to use without the skin
  • butter
  • Salt and pepper
PREPARATION
  1. Between two pieces of plastic wrap, pound turkey breast so it is thinner
  2. Sauté the onions and sliced mushrooms in butter, until most of the water has evaporated, add salt and pepper
  3. Spread the sausage over the inside of the turkey breast (this is add a little fat so the turkey does not dry out when cooking)
  4. then spread the mushroom onion mixture, leaving a good inch clean at the one long edge (right side)
  5. Start on the left side and roll, one roll or  I actually got two rolls (really banged that breast out!)
  6. Rolling;I did this on plastic wrap and then rolled tightly in the plastic wrap to get a firm roll - (one would roll maki). Then left the tight roll in the refrigerator about one hour.
  7. Take from the refrigerator and remove plastic wrap.
  8. Tie about 5 strings around, and one lengthwise also.
  9. Put in oven and cook about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours -depends on breast actual size.
  10. I used a thermometer to 165°F
  11. Remove and let rest about 15 minutes before cutting.
ADVICE: If not sure how to roll the turkey breast, there are many recipes on the internet and some have short films.




No comments:

Post a Comment