It is spring and there are flowers blooming everywhere. Such a wonder to see some of these beautiful flowers.
This month there will be lots of photos of flowers, as I have been in the forest and out on the hillside.
I have my garden planted and things are growing. Already have a few zucchini and flowers on the tomatoes. Can not wait to start harvesting some of the fresh vegetables.
|Herb markers I made in pottery|
Have to show you a photo of the neighbors cat at our house. I started brushing him because he was shedding so much. He absolutely loves to be brushed. This day I held out and was not going to brush him at his command, so to get my attention, here is the photo!!!
|Neighbor's cat- we call him Tim|
|Poppies...this is just off the main road not far from Gevrey|
|Gentler on the roots to use the horse,|
so often the Grand Crus are plowed by this method.
|Orchid Homme Pendule (hanging man)|
|Orchid Limodore à feuilles avortées- |
a rare orchid
|Orchid Mouche - also hard to find|
|Néottie nid d'oiseau|
|Zygaenidae caterpillar (obviously not a flower)|
Everything has been blooming and we have also had a lot of dirt in the air. Supposedly the dirt is from the Sahara! When it rains everything is covered in mud drops. It certainly does not help the air either. It seems everyone is having more allergy problems this year.
This is a delightful salad just in time for summer. All those great veggies are coming to market, and the herbs are fresh in the garden.
Thin sliced Garden Vegetables with a Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves (used 6 large leaves)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 clove garlic minced very fine
- 1 heaping Tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion * ( see note)
stay within the guidelines of this recipe. The other day I used the leftover broccoli stem- sliced thin
*Note: You want a sweet flavor, and sometimes an onion is strong. To avoid it taking over the flavor of this dish, if it is a strong onion, I recommend marinating
the onion a little.
Boil 1/2 cup water with 2/3 cup white vinegar and ¾ cup sugar. When sugar dissolves take off the heat and cool until tepid. Add onions a let marinate.
- Mix all ingredients for the vinaigrette in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Trim squash ends.
- Slice yellow squash lengthwise into ribbons with a vegetable peeler or mandolin, discarding outside ribbons and core.
- Slice zucchini crosswise into thin round slices with a knife, using a peeler of mandolin.
- Slice carrots lengthwise into ribbons with a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
- Thinly slice the radishes
- Slice the onion in thin rounds also, use a mandolin or slowly with a sharp knife.
- Place all except the radishes in a bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Serve (soon after adding the dressing )and decorate with the radishes